||Australian Academy of Science
||The Falling Walls Foundation is a non-profit organisation in Berlin, dedicated to the support of science and the humanities. It was established in 2009, 20 years after the fall of the Berlin Wall. At its heart is the question ‘Which are the next walls to fall?’ as a result of scientific, technological, economic and sociological breakthroughs.
Each year, the foundation supports scientific organisations around the world to host a Falling Walls Lab. This international forum promotes interdisciplinary connections between aspiring academics, innovators, entrepreneurs, investors and professionals, known for their excellent work. Participants are given three minutes to present their research work, business model or initiative to a broad audience from science and industry, including a distinguished jury who selects the most innovative and promising idea.
Falling Walls Lab is a challenging and inspiring format for emerging bright minds, giving them a unique chance to become the next big success story in innovation. Since 2009, there have been over 80 international Labs from close to 50 countries worldwide with over 1,000 participants. Six hundred outstanding talents have participated in the annual Falling Walls Lab Finales from 2014 to 2017.
||Candidates should be research active in any field of the natural sciences, including technology, engineering and medicine, as well as social sciences and the humanities.
The candidate must:
- be either
- an Australian citizen or
- an Australian permanent resident or hold a valid student or working visa
- based in Australia at the time of application
- be 18 years of age or over
- be currently enrolled in university or hold a degree (copy of degree may be required)
- hold a bachelor’s degree which must have been received within ten (10) years prior to 1 January 2018 (i.e. conferred on or after 1 January 2008)
- hold a master’s degree which must have been received within seven (7) years prior to 1 January 2018 (i.e. conferred on or after 1 January 2011)
- hold a PhD which must have been received within five (5) years prior to 1 January 2018 (i.e. conferred on or after 1 January 2013)
- hold a passport valid until at least April 2019.
||The Australian Academy of Science invites applications from researchers living and working in Australia who are postdocs and students, entrepreneurs, engineers and innovators from all areas to attend Australia’s Falling Walls Lab in 2019.
Falling Walls Lab Australia will be held on 3 September 2019 at the Academy’s Shine Dome, Canberra. Twenty Australian contestants will be invited to participate in the challenge, each giving a three-minute presentation on their research, business model or initiative based on the ‘Which walls will fall next?’ concept. For more information visit the Falling Walls Lab. Presentation templates and further instructions will be provided to successful applicants.
Five of the 20 presenters have already been selected based on a jury’s decision at the Falling Walls Lab held in Brisbane on 5 April 2019.
More information on this opportunity
All costs relating to travel to and from the event, and accommodation and meals outside of the event in Canberra, will be the participants’ responsibility.
A jury of distinguished academics and business people will select the winner of Falling Walls Lab Australia 2019. The winner will be automatically admitted to the Falling Walls Lab Finale in Berlin, which will be held on 8 November 2019.
The Falling Walls Foundation will cover the winner’s attendance at the Falling Walls Conference. The winner of Falling Walls Lab Australia will have their travel expenses to Berlin and their accommodation costs in Berlin on 8–9 November paid for.
||Become a Falling Walls Lab Finalist – The Local Lab Prize
Become a Young Innovator of the Year – Global Finale Prize
- A trip to Berlin, Germany! (travel and accommodation covered)
- Participation in the global Falling Walls Lab Finale in Berlin on 8 November
- A ticket to the prestigious Falling Walls Conference, where leaders from science, industry, and policy-making meet and discuss which walls will be the next to fall in science and society
- Participation in a Springer Nature event on science publishing
- Participation in a science excursion
- Access to inspiring braindates with other Falling Walls Conference participants
- A cash prize!
- The opportunity to present on the grand stage of the Falling Walls Conference on 9 November
- The possibility of a six month virtual residency with Nature Careers of the global publisher Springer Nature
||The call for applications to participate in Falling Walls Lab Australia 2019 is now open.
The deadline for applications is 5 pm (AEST) Thursday 11 July 2019.
Australian Academy of Science
GPO Box 783
Canberra ACT 2601
Phone: 02 6201 9412
|How to apply:
||(Note this a two-stage process)
Only complete and eligible applications submitted via the Falling Walls Lab website will be forwarded to the Academy for assessment by an evaluation panel.
DEADLINE: 5 pm (AEST) Thursday 11 July 2019
Notification of outcome: early August
- Complete the Academy’s application webform and attach the following:
- Go to the Falling Walls Lab website.
- Click on Falling Walls Lab Australia.
- Complete the Falling Walls Lab online form and attach your curriculum vitae.
- Follow the links to submit the form and CV to the Falling Walls Lab.