The gemaker story
gemaker was founded in 2011, when Natalie Chapman took a leap of faith out of a public research agency (ANSTO) into her own business, inspired by an Innovation and Entrepreneurship class in her MBA studies, and strongly supported by Co-founder Athena Prib who joined her from New South Innovations at UNSW.
With more than a decade’s experience in research commercialisation, and knowing that technology transfer is generally under-resourced in Australian research organisations, they saw an opportunity to put together an agile, scalable team of experts to whom this essential work could be outsourced as needed.
Their team would offer a broad range of technical and commercial knowledge and skills to fill resource gaps, or provide the additional, concentrated power needed to achieve sufficient momentum to successfully launch an innovation into new markets. gemaker would form a nexus connecting Australian researchers, inventors, startups and SMEs to funding, industry partners and customers.
Drawing ongoing inspiration from our bold and clever clients who want to make a brighter future for us all, gemaker continues to leap forward. We make each jump from a higher and wider platform of experience and expertise, offering more and enhanced services, thanks to a growing, diverse team of technology commercialisation professionals.
We attribute our success to our team’s shared values, including:
- desire to do positive, meaningful and intelligent work with significant impact
- passion for innovative science and technology
- partnering with clients to achieve excellent outcomes, with a can-do attitude, strong work ethic and integrity
- dedication to giving back to the community and our STEM commercialisation ecosystem and
- commitment to a truly flexible work model.
We love a challenge, we scale project teams up or down to suit the client, and we’re always willing to go the extra distance to achieve the best result.
Each year, on the anniversary of the founding of gemaker, we reflect on our experience and achievements. If you’d like to read more about each chapter in gemaker’s story, please follow the links below:
- First birthday celebration
- The not-so-terrible twos
- Happy 3rd birthday to us! 50% of businesses don’t celebrate it…
- Turning 4
- Celebrating 5 years with lessons learnt
Our vision is to continue to increase our influence, so we can motivate and facilitate more excellent Australian inventions and innovations, helping them to achieve commercial success, for the benefit of all.
‘We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give.’ – Winston Churchill
At gemaker, we believe in supporting the health of our ecosystem, not just our company. We’re determined to give back to our community with all means at our disposal.
Some of the organisations and causes to which we donate our time, money and other resources are:
- Women in STEMM Award
- The Enlightening Campaign by the Australian Academy of Science
- Knowledge Commercialisation Australasia (KCA)
- Association of Technology Transfer Professionals (ATTP)
- University of Wollongong – Science Fair
- Tech Girls Movement
- Fitted for Work
- Black Dog Institute
- Science programs at local primary and secondary schools
As this list demonstrates, we’re particularly passionate about encouraging people to pursue innovation and careers in science and technology, especially girls and women. Please follow the links above to learn more.